With the temperature in the 40’s and the days getting darker, it’s the perfect time to curl up with some hot soup. Low in fat and loaded with healthy veggies, this recipe is vegetarian friendly and perfect for a winter meal.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or paprika
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups canned black beans
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions.
- Cook 5 to 6 minutes until the onions begin to soften and turn slightly translucent.
- Dust the flour and cayenne or paprika over the onion.
- Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes stirring continuously until the flour coats the onion and starts to stick to the bottom of the pan without browning. Decrease heat if necessary.
- Add the potatoes, corn and black beans.
- After 5 minutes add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the skim milk. Stir in remaining seasoning with additional salt and pepper for your taste.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.